Vice President, News Director
CBS Business Unit: CBS Television Stations
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: Chicago, IL, US
CBS Television Stations consists of 29 owned-and-operated stations, including 16 that are part of the CBS Television Network, eight affiliates of The CW Network, three independent stations and two MyNetworkTV affiliates. Among its stations are WCBS-TV and WLNY-TV (New York), KCBS-TV and KCAL-TV (Los Angeles), WBBM-TV (Chicago), KYW-TV and WPSG-TV (Philadelphia), KTVT-TV and KTXA-TV (Dallas-Ft. Worth), KPIX-TV and KBCW-TV (San Francisco), WBZ-TV and WSBK-TV (Boston), WUPA-TV (Atlanta), WWJ-TV and WKBD-TV (Detroit), KSTW-TV (Seattle), WTOG-TV (Tampa-St. Petersburg), WCCO-TV (Minneapolis), KCNC-TV (Denver), WFOR-TV and WBFS-TV (Miami), KOVR-TV and KMAX-TV (Sacramento), KDKA-TV and WPCW-TV (Pittsburgh), WJZ-TV (Baltimore), as well as WCCO-TV’s satellite stations KCCO-TV (Alexandria, Minn.) and KCCW-TV (Walker, Minn.).
· Lead a culture of winning and excellence in the station’s news department.
· Responsible for the on-air execution of each newscast.
· Capable of evolving the on-air product technically to reflect the current competitive environment within the marketplace.
· Executes short and long term strategic goals for station.
· Provides solid leadership and tactical direction on the day-to-day coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
· Ensures that a balanced and ethical presentation is sustained in accordance with CBS policies and instructions, industry codes, FCC rules and station brand values.
· Implements a solid succession plan for all positions within the newsroom, beginning with careful search and recruitment techniques and continuing with effective mentoring, training and development.
· Prepares the News Department’s budget and carefully manages all department expenses, while working closely with the Accounting Department.
· Works in concert with the other station Department Heads and management team to further evolve station brand, programs and new business development.
Preferred: Proven track record in a major market as news director, with a preference of a producing background. Demonstrate an ability to grow the news product and brand. Must be strong in original storytelling, photojournalism, well produced and balanced newscasts and knowing the stories that really matter in the market we serve. Set goals and execute news plans in accordance with station’s goals. Must work well with people, demonstrate an ability to train and motivate and must work with all departments and corporate personnel. Have a positive and winning attitude. Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or related field.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled