Per Diem Newswriter / ProducerApply
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Write news copy for anchors under direction of newscast producer. Also be able to produce news shows, as needed.
- Work under extreme deadline pressure to create and write factual updated and compelling news copy that is compliant with news strategies.
- Screen and edit from both linear and non-linear services to select relevant and engaging pictures and sound.
- Work closely with reporters and video editors to produce story coverage, with an eye toward keeping the story both clear and succinct and compliant with news strategies.
- Work closely with photographers in the field on breaking news and special assignments.
- Support overall quality of the newscast with a keen eye for detail, including spelling, fact checking, balance and fairness.
- Conceive, create or order graphics to support news copy.
- Vacation-relief show producing duties and other duties as assigned.
- Must be willing to work overnights and weekend mornings, and other hours as needed.
- Knowledge of use of social media a must and ability to execute station’s social media strategy and efforts
- Results-Oriented and Innovative
- Ability to write and edit broadcast copy
- Newscast producing skills
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
Three years’ experience as a news writer or producer, preferably in a top 20 market.
Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field.
Familiarity with Chicago area, desirable.
Experience with non-linear editing, a plus.