CBS13/CW31 – Sacramento, California, is looking for a dynamic, creative, self-motivated News Director to drive daily content, big stories, breaking news and special projects. The candidate must be knowledgeable, passionate, engaged, accountable and competitive, leading the news team to build its brand and achieve audience goals. The ideal candidate will generate ideas for improving workflow, content and production to drive audience growth on television and all digital platforms. Other duties include:
- Leading a culture of winning and excellence in the station’s news department.
- Responsible for the on-air execution of each newscast.
- Capable of evolving the on-air product technically to reflect the current competitive environment within the marketplace, both on-air and online.
- Executes short and long-term strategic goals for station.
- Provides solid leadership and tactical direction on the day-to-day coverage of major stories, breaking news and specials.
- Ensures that a balanced and ethical presentation is sustained in accordance with CBS policies and instructions, industry codes, FCC rules and station brand values.
- Implements a solid succession plan for all positions within the newsroom, beginning with careful search and recruitment techniques and continuing with effective mentoring, training and development.
- Works in concert with the other station Department Heads and management team to further evolve station brand, programs and new business development.
- Proven track record in producing winning newscasts while leading a team of people that develop into successful professionals.
- Proven track record in effective leadership.
- Ability to effectively analyze audience data and develop key tactics for improvement based on that research.
- Significant relevant experience in roles of increasing responsibility in news management required (specifics and length of time varies by market).