CBS and CW network owned and operated local news station is looking for a motivated and self-directed individual capable of working in a team environment to realize multiple ongoing technical projects, assist in maintaining the technical facilities at our studios in downtown San Francisco as well as our transmitters at Sutro Tower and remote ENG locations around the Bay Area. Applicants should have at least five (5) years of direct, hands-on experience in television broadcast, production and IT network equipment installation and maintenance in addition to an Associates in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience from military or civilian work in electronics and component-level troubleshooting.
Description of Responsibilities:
Broadcast Engineers take direction from the Engineering Management Team and assist, on a daily basis, local union represented broadcast engineers to address a variety of capital projects as well as routine maintenance of remote RF sites and assist in troubleshooting issues as they arise in the technical plant. It will also require regular support of the news, sports, design and sales departments in addressing their technical needs and triaging priority tasks.
The position requires an engineer with a positive attitude and the ability to react well to changing conditions that are present in a 24/7/365 broadcast facility. Experience installing, configuring and troubleshooting studio equipment from a variety of manufacturers (e.g. Pesa, Evertz, Snell, Harris, Leitch, Dell, HP and others) is preferred and references to specific major broadcast systems should be provided.
- Must have a valid driver's license and be able to travel, bend, lift, and carry up to 50 pounds, climb ladders and/or step stools to maintain equipment.
- Computer proficiency in MS Windows including MS Office, Outlook and Visio. Solid understanding of IP networking, file system structure, software installation/update practices and experience using FTP, telnet and terminal applications with serial interfaces.
- Basic knowledge navigating Mac OS X including application installation, file system basics and network configuration.
- Solid understanding of RF fundamentals as it pertains to 2-way, cellular, point-to-point microwave and wireless networking systems.
- Proficient in handling test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, bitstream analyzers, oscilloscopes and digital multi-meters.
- Cable fabrication and termination experience.
- Experience with ENG vehicle maintenance as it pertains to hydraulic masts, D-TEC II safety systems, generators, DC power systems, general automotive maintenance.
- Understanding of SD analog, SD/HD digital video, signal routing and processing equipment.
- Experience with satellite downlinks and configuring digital IRDs.
- Understanding of the major digital video file formats, their chief characteristics, common format containers and metadata usage.
- Fluent understanding and the ability to read wiring diagrams, flowcharts and schematics.
- Solid understanding and experience working with high-power RF television transmitters. Vendor transmitter training is a big plus.
- CAD drawing and editing experience with AutoCAD and/or Visio.
- Single and multi-mode fiber optic cable splicing and terminating experience.
- In depth knowledge of the ATSC broadcast standard and PSIP fundamentals.
- Direct experience working with the Triveni GuideBuilder and Imagine Selenio multiplexer.
- Direct experience working on Harris SigmaCD and/or Diamond digital transmitters.
- Experience configuring workflows in Telestream Vantage.
- Experience working in MS-DOS, Unix and Linux command-line and GUI-based systems.