Assistant News DirectorApply
• Oversee day-to-day coverage, big story, breaking news and sweeps planning with an eye towards promotion, marketing and demographic development.
• Providing for complete, timely and accurate coverage and reporting of national, regional, and local news.
• Prepare a balanced and ethical presentation of the news in accordance with CBS policies and instructions, industry codes and FCC rules.
• Recommend formats and format improvements for the presentation of news programs.
• Provide for coverage and reporting of special features.
• Responsible for scheduling, and meeting newsroom operational goals.
• Manage and motivate news personnel, participate in hiring decisions and oversee the evaluation and performance appraisal process within the news department.
• Work with reporters on story telling & story production.
• Approve all newscast scripts including reporter packages.
• Assist in the hiring of producers, writers, and assignment editors.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Proven track record in producing winning newscasts while leading a team of people that develop into successful professionals.
• Must have the ability to work on multiple tasks under tight deadlines. Proven track record in effective leadership.
• Ability to effectively analyze audience data and develop key tactics for improvement based on that research.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills required including the ability to work effectively with newsroom personnel and the public.
Significant relevant experience in roles of increasing responsibility in news management required (specifics and length of time varies by market).
• 5 years news management experience at a medium/large market size television station and 10+ years overall experience.
Bachelor’s or technical degree in Broadcast Journalism or related field preferred.
All qualified candidates must apply to the CBS Television Stations online Applicant Tracking System: www.cbsandyou.com (internal applicants) . This is the only method in which applications will be accepted for open positions.