Vice President, Communications, CBS SportsApply
CBS was established in 1928, when founder William Paley purchased 16 independent radio stations and christened them the Columbia Broadcast System. Today, with more than 200 television stations and affiliates reaching virtually every home in the United States, CBS's total network lineup was watched by more than 130 million people a week during the 2012/2013 season. The Network has the #1 drama/scripted program, NCIS; #1 sitcom, THE BIG BANG THEORY; #1 newsmagazine, 60 MINUTES; and #1 daytime drama, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Its programming arms include CBS Entertainment, CBS News and CBS Sports.
Vice President, Communications, CBS Sports
The VP, Communications will work closely with SVP, Communications on overall publicity and communications efforts for CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network to support the network’s programming, ratings, sales and branding goals. This position is also responsible for media relations efforts surrounding all of the networks partners. In addition, the role serves as the lead liaison on CBS Sports’ overall social media publicity strategy.
- Spearhead publicity efforts for CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network studio and remote coverage across all partners and programming
- Working closely with rights partners and business partners to develop strategic publicity efforts
- Manage publicity for all CBS Sports Network programming and initiative
- Responsible for research analysis and dissemination of the network's ratings and research data to the media
- Coordinate with SVP, Communications on short and long term strategy for the department
- Serve as the lead liaison with CBS Sports social media team, generating original content and new social publicity initiatives
- Develop new PR multimedia strategies
- Serve as Communications liaison across CBS Sports properties including CBSSports.com, Showtime Sports and CBS Radio on overall synergy efforts.
- Coordinate with various divisions of the CBS Corporation (including CBS News, CBS Entertainment, CBS Newspath and CBS Interactive ) on various media relations initiatives
- Day-to-day supervision of Communications Manager and Coordinator
The candidate is multifaceted, possesses a strong sense of urgency, pitches thoughtfully and aggressively, pursues positive exposure in national media, business and industry trade outlets, and consumer publications. This professional is detail-oriented, has the ability to self-manage and provides senior communications counsel to talent and executives.
12+ years of communications experience in sports and media
Extensive experience in public relations
Extensive knowledge and industry experience in sports television, both broadcast and cable and digital
Strong understanding of media, and relationships with key members of the press
Strong managerial and analytical skills
Ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-oriented department. Ability to work under pressure
Ability to delegate, manage and motivate people – both direct and non-direct reports
Self-starter, who is also highly collaborative and a strategic thinker. Creative problem solving skills
Ability to interface effectively with Senior Management and staff at all levels
Solid industry media experience including talent management
Relevant social media and digital awareness and experience
Ability to manage and execute social media strategies in conjunction with social media team
Collaborative leadership style. Team player with exceptional people skills
Superb prioritizing, written and verbal communication skills