The Political Director at CBS News is the center of gravity for political coverage on all platforms at CBS News. Based in Washington DC, the PD is responsible for developing the overall strategy for political coverage and implementing that strategy in coordination with the broadcasts and online platforms at CBS News.
- · Recruit and manage a staff that varies from a core of one or two people in the off years to 20-25 during presidential campaigns.
- · For the Midterm elections, identify the key races and key districts that will determine the outcome of elections and which party controls the House and the Senate.
- · Determine the key political trends and crosscurrents in the country and advise the Producers and Editors at CBS News how best to cover those trends.
- · Monitor campaign fundraising, spending, ad buys and activity on social media.
- · Develop sources in both parties, forging partnerships with other news organizations where useful.
- · For the general election cycle, oversee a major ramp-up of personnel that will include staffing political desks in NY and Washington as well as a number of embeds, or digital journalists.
- · Select the training and the deployment of the Digital Journalists and making sure that the DJ’s are responsive to all platforms at CBS News.
- · Ensure both the editorial integrity of the Digital Journalists output as well as the quality of the daily video content they produce.
- · Organize editorial research on the candidates and issues as well as coordinating all incoming video feeds in an archive system in both NY and Washington.
- · For the general election, identify the key issues, battleground states and districts, constituencies that might be in play, and determine which candidates are gathering or losing momentum as the campaigns evolve over the course of the year.
- · College level or higher education
- · A minimum of 6 years covering or working on political campaigns at the congressional or presidential level
- · Established experience at the Senior Producer level in television journalism
- · Demonstrated editorial experience and judgement in political reporting
- · A wide range of strong political contacts at all levels
- · Demonstrated management skills to include an understanding of the budgeting process and overseeing staff
- · Strong communication skills—both written and verbal