EVP Business Affairs & LegalApply
CBS Business Unit: CBS Television Distribution
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: Santa Monica, CA, US
CBS Television Distribution is the preeminent company in television syndication. CTD produces or distributes 10 first-run series and holds the largest distributed television library at 70,000 hours strong. Among CTD's critically-acclaimed programs are the #1 syndicated series Judge Judy; talk leader Dr. Phil; the #1 and #2 rated game shows Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!; the Emmy Award-winning talk shows Rachael Ray and The Doctors; the #1 and #2 newsmagazines Entertainment Tonight and Inside Edition, along with The Insider; court show Hot Bench; and popular off-network product, including the CSI and Star Trek franchises, Everybody Loves Raymond, Frasier, NCIS, Criminal Minds, NCIS: Los Angeles, The Good Wife, Blue Bloods, Hawaii Five-0, Hot in Cleveland and Undercover Boss. In addition, CTD handles the domestic television distribution of CBS News, CBS Films and Showtime. CTD is a unit of CBS Corp.
The EVP, Business Affairs and Legal will supervise all legal and business affairs activities of CBS Television Domestic Distribution, including Sales Administration and Product Rights.
Such areas of responsibility and oversight include:
- Negotiate, document and manage a high volume of contracts for broadcast, cable and digital licenses, including complex transactions for multi-year library arrangements
- Counseling sales force on sales strategy, compliance with contractual restrictions and obligations, and antitrust issues
- Rendering advice and counsel on collection and bankruptcy issues
- Rendering advice and counsel on marketing and promotion issues
- Supervise all legal work for first run strip television series, including legal oversight for all broadcast and digital content associated with such productions. Analyze legal production risks with respect to defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright, trademark and other legal issues
- Talent and staff contracts for all productions
- Oversight of standards and practices for all productions
- Handling all legal claims arising from productions and distribution activities. Oversight of outside counsel for litigations.
- Management of issues arising from the ownership of a vast library of television product, including rights research, rights conflicts, acquisition and extension agreements, and audit claims
- Manage business relationships with owners of various series distributed by CTD
- Advise senior management in connection with deal strategies and complex business and legal matters
- Management of large staff of attorneys, sales administration staff, and legal assistants
- Maintain and expand strong working relationships with internal executives as well as externally with agencies, the creative community, broadcasters, and other licensees of CTD’s programming
- Juris Doctor degree/Admission to California State Bar or Registered In-House Counsel
- Substantial experience working in a television business affairs and/or legal department or an entertainment law firm. Experience and knowledge of the first-run television business and unscripted reality programming is strongly preferred
- Familiarity with defamation, invasion of privacy, copyright, trademark and other production related law
- First run production knowledge and expertise
- Superior analytic and writing skills, together with strong business and financial acumen
- Must be detail oriented and possess superior negotiation, organizational and time management skills
- Exceptional inter-personal management and communication skills. Staff supervision experience preferred
- Ability to develop effective and productive working relationships with senior company management.
- Established relationships with key agencies, managers, and attorneys in the entertainment community.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled