Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing seeks a dynamic and motivated Publicity Manager to join its children’s publicity team. This is a fantastic opportunity to work with distinguished authors and brands. The person in this role will be responsible for pitching and securing media across a variety of media outlets, as well as setting up author and illustrator events, multi-city book tours, and book festival appearances. Knowledge of the media landscape, as well as growing relationships with book reviewers, reporters, bloggers and booksellers are essential to this role.
We are looking for a creative and independent thinker who is passionate about young adult and children’s books. Our ideal candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills, be able to work independently as well as collaboratively and have close attention to detail. The person in this position will interact internally with marketing, sales and editorial teams, and externally with authors, illustrators, booksellers and members of the press.
Specific responsibilities include:
* Planning and executing publicity campaigns that will maximize exposure for authors and their books.
* Pitch and schedule interviews with national and local broadcast, print, and online media.
* Arranging and coordinating multi-city book tours and author appearances.
* Writing press materials, including compelling press releases and effective pitch letters.
* A strong emphasis on author care, and maintaining and strengthening author relationships.
* Oversees publicity budgets for individual assigned titles
* Acts as mentor for junior publicity staff
* At least 4-5 years of experience in public relations, book publishing experience preferred
* Ability to work well both independently and in a collaborative environment
* Exceptional writing and pitching skills
* Ability to meet deadlines and prioritize
* Ability to manage and follow-through on multiple projects at once
* Strong organizational skills
* Ability multi-task and work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
* Fluency with current media trends.
* Familiarity with Cision, Publicity Assistant and Net Galley preferred