Manager, Cultural IntelligenceApply
The Manager, Cultural Intelligence, is responsible for utilizing quantitative and qualitative data to identify patterns in publishing, in the media industries, and in culture, and to provide insights that informs the creation of new media products. This role within a start-up team at Simon & Schuster requires an individual well-versed in integrated, multi-method research and interested in how that research can be utilized in real-time to inform editorial decisions and investment in the creation of original intellectual property.
The position will report into the Director, Cultural Intelligence, and will be responsible for analyzing/helping manage analysis of digital trends data, media industries syndicated data, social listening, netnographic and other ethnographic research approaches, internal analytics, synthesis of secondary research, and various other quantitative and qualitative research and experimentation.
RESEARCH OVERSIGHT –
- Manage the work of a growing team conducting opportunistic quantitative and qualitative research to identify, validate, and inform the inspiration, greenlighting, curation, creation, and circulation of media texts.
- Work with Director, Cultural Intelligence, to identify patterns and inform strategies within the company.
- Collaborate closely with relevant production team and tech team colleagues to inform the editorial process and serve decision-making at each point in that process.
- Manage relationships with data/platform partners, external research partners, and others, and bring/develop strong working knowledge of all platforms being actively used in research.
- Continuously identify and help guide the organization in the selection of additional research partners/opportunities, and play an active role in vetting new potential partners.
- Oversee the monthly processing and distribution of relevant syndicated reporting tools.
- Actively work with tech team and other internal and external partners on the development/modification of research platforms.
- Work with additional internal teams/partners utilizing research and platforms to inform and coordinate database management and other activities.
- Manage development of internal reporting when needed.
- In addition to ongoing research assignments (“testing hunches”) already on the radar, conduct relevant additional research to identify developing cultural patterns/trends.
- Provide education and insights across departments as relevant to foster education and awareness of emerging cultural patterns.
- In addition to broader cultural research, manage close view of media/publishing industries trends.
● In addition to social listening analytics, this position requires a deep understanding of syndicated analysis tools, which will be utilized to complement social data and develop more robust recommendations.
- 5 to 7 years of experience in utilizing quantitative and qualitative data, including a mix of digital trends data, media industries syndicated data, social listening, netnographic and other ethnographic research approaches, internal analytics, synthesis of secondary research, and various other quantitative and qualitative research and experimentation.
- Willingness and ability to quickly learn how to use/manage use of any research platforms used by the company not previously encountered.
- Experience with media industries/publishing, and/or e-retail, a plus.
- Strong analytical, data interpretation, and critical thinking skills, and ability to marshal those skills to assist the decision-making of those developing new media texts.
- Team leader who can clearly communicate strategies and goals, troubleshoot and manage projects for small team.
- Proficiency in Excel and PowerPoint:
- Excel includes efficiently utilizing pivot tables, formulas and filtering.
- PowerPoint includes creating compelling presentations with clear and concise display of information.
- Detail-oriented and deadline-driven with the ability to work under pressure. Must take initiative and work with a high level of professionalism.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to summarize key findings into clear and actionable recommendations, and to interact with individuals at all levels.
- Strong project management skills and ability to plan and prioritize work in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly motivated with the desire to grow within the organization.