Editorial Director, Gallery Books GroupApply
Simon & Schuster is seeking an Editorial Director to oversee the editorial activities of the company's Gallery Books Group, which includes Scout Press, Gallery 13, and Jeter Publishing. Responsibilities include: acquiring and publishing a broad range of titles in areas including fiction, non-fiction, and pop culture; developing editorial strategy for multiple markets and managing its implementation; working directly with authors in developing manuscripts; maintaining heavy agent contact; and controlling the budget and supervising a staff of 13. In addition to providing leadership to the editorial team, this person will guide the acquisitions process, oversee and analyze P&Ls, and create and maintain a creative culture at Gallery. Additionally, this persona will represent Gallery in the publishing industry and at tradeshows and industry events.
The Editorial Director will be responsible for the imprint's brands and maintaining and creating compelling long-term frontlist and blacklist potential. The ideal candidate will have a history of acquiring and editing either successful commercial nonfiction titles and/or fiction titles and will be as adept at generating ideas for books as he/she is at reaching out to established agents. This position will report to the SVP and Publisher of Gallery.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, strong team-building skills, and strong leadership skills.
- Results-driven, and goal-focused; an ability to take ownership of a variety of projects and make timely decisions.
- Strong contacts in the publishing industry.
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to develop staff and improve productivity through goal setting, coaching, delegating, training, and regular performance evaluation.
- Must be able to respond quickly in an environment of changing priorities. Must be able to set relevant priorities on a daily basis as the job requires multi-tasking.