Editorial Assistant, SAGA PressApply
CBS Business Unit: Simon & Schuster
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Simon & Schuster, a part of CBS Corporation, is a global leader in the field of general interest publishing, dedicated to providing the best in fiction and nonfiction for consumers of all ages, across all printed, electronic, and audio formats. Its divisions include Simon & Schuster Adult Publishing, Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, Simon & Schuster Audio, Simon & Schuster Digital, and international companies in Australia, Canada, India and the United Kingdom.
Saga Press is seeking an Editorial Assistant to support the Editorial Director and Senior Editor in publishing their list of stellar science fiction, fantasy and horror titles.
- Handling all administrative duties for the Editorial Director and Senior Editor
- Reading and evaluating manuscripts insightfully and analytically, writing editorial notes and offering creative input on books in progress
- Writing cover/flap copy, bound galley, tipsheet and catalog copy
- Preparing P&Ls, contractual paperwork, check requests, and tracking other paperwork both internally and externally.
- Scheduling meetings, routing materials both in-house and to authors, handling mailings to authors and agents
- Preparing manuscripts for copyediting and production
- Liaising with all departments to ensure books stay on schedule and coordinating the editorial and production process
- Communicating with authors and agents throughout the publication process
- Professionally interacting with authors, production, marketing and sales staff
- Organizing and scheduling meetings and conference calls
- Passionate and enthusiastic about science fiction, fantasy and horror
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills
- Must have good time management skills, be organized and detail-oriented, and capable of multi-tasking
- Have the ability to prioritize, turn tasks around quick and accurately, meet deadlines and work independently
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Excel
Launched in 2015, Saga Press quickly established itself as one of the leading fantasy, science fiction, and horror imprints in the U.S. Saga publishes across genres from epic and traditional fantasy, urban fantasy, hard science fiction and space opera, and supernatural thrillers and horror. The imprint is dedicated to innovation and committed to bringing attention to a diverse array of up-and-coming and marginalized voices. Saga’s authors include Mishell Baker, Elizabeth Bear, Gregory Benford, Nathan Ballingrud, John Crowley, Max Gladstone, Theodora Goss, Charlaine Harris, Kameron Hurley, Ursula K. Le Guin, Ken Liu, Amal El-Mohtar, Nnedi Okorafor, Rebecca Roanhorse, Rivers Solomon, and Catherynne M. Valente. Saga Press’s authors and founding editors have been nominated for every major award in the field including the Hugo, Locus, Nebula, and World Fantasy awards.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled