Associate News Producer, SportsApply
CBS Sports Network, the 24-hour cable home of CBS Sports, airs more than 400 live games annually, showcasing an array of college and professional sports, as well as in-depth studio shows, documentaries and original programs. CBS Sports Network also provides extensive shoulder programming around CBS Sports’ Championship events, including the Super Bowl, The Masters and PGA Championship.
CBS Sports Network is available across the country through local cable, video and telco providers including Verizon FiOS Channel 94 and AT&T U-Verse Channel 643 (1643 in HD) and via satellite on DirecTV Channel 221 and Dish Network Channel 158. For more information, including a full programming schedule and how to get CBS Sports Network, go to www.cbssportsnetwork.com.
CBS Sports Network seeks a dynamic Associate News Producer to be a strong contributor to the newsgathering and editorial guidance for all studio and event productions.
The ideal candidate for this full-time staff position must be skilled at identifying news and emerging storylines; display confidence in delivering context and recommendations for news presentations; and demonstrate the ability to collaborate with a variety of production contributors and on-air talent to maintain editorial standards across all presentations.
To successfully deliver editorial guidance to all productions, this Associate News Producer must have strong sports knowledge, the ability to make quick editorial decisions, and possess excellent written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate is passionate and knowledgeable about sports journalism and storytelling, and enthusiastic about contributing to the CBS Sports brand.
- Monitor news feeds, including searching social media and engaging with reporters, to gather and evaluate relevant news and information.
- Prepare and distribute news briefs, scripts for broadcasts, and key points for graphic or video presentations on news across all sports, with an emphasis on NFL, college football and college basketball.
- Communicate regularly with studio producers and other production contributors to discuss developing news and provide guidance on the presentation of that news within our programming.
- Write, edit and review scripts and graphics for accuracy, style and editorial value. This includes skills at writing to video and for broadcast news (ex. writing for voice over and packages).
- React to breaking news with an emphasis on accuracy, creative storytelling, and relevance to our productions and our audience.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment, and communicate with urgency and clarity to producers, on-air talent and production associates.
- Demonstrate strong understanding of sports media production, including knowledge of studio television show content creation or similar digital video programming.
- Discover connections between our events and developing news stories; and then provide ideas for how to tell those stories within our games and studio shows. This may include suggesting and gathering elements, potential guests, and details on alternative angles to enhance the telling of those stories.
- Maintain files of ongoing stories, upcoming events and themes to anticipate and guide future coverage across platforms.
- Draft suggested questions and topics for interview subjects and analyst discussions.
- Provide story ideas for potential features, discussion segments, interviews and other content to enhance the news and story coverage in all programming.
- Serve as the leading editorial voice during live studio programming and partner with producers to generate urgent, effective coverage of breaking news.
- Under tight deadlines, educate on-air talent and other production staff on the key details of a developing story and offer perspective on proper context for presentation on our shows.
- Coordinate with and support management and all production staff to maintain editorial standards for newsgathering and coverage on broadcast and cable platforms.
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of on-air content.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of newsroom or other editorial experience, preferably in cable, broadcast or digital media
- Must possess strong research skills and editorial judgment
- Exceptional writing and communication skills are a must
- Must be able to work with limited supervision while also thriving in a team-oriented environment
- Proficient on all social media outlets and knowledgeable about how to use it effectively as a newsgathering tool
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and flexible hours
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Able to work in a fast-paced environment under deadlines and prioritize assignments
- Experience at gathering visual elements, prepping graphics and editing packages for segments is preferred
- Must be a team player with proven interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or a related field is preferred.