Temporary Supervisor, Video OperationsApply
Smithsonian Channel™, owned by Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, is where curiosity lives, inspiration strikes and wonders never cease. The Channel's Emmy and Peabody Award-winning programming entertains, educates and inspires. Program genres include history, science, nature, and pop culture. SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL travels beyond the ordinary to reveal a vast scope of exciting stories and experiences to fuel the curiosity in all of us. Among the network’s offerings are series that include Aerial America, Million Dollar American Princesses, The Weapon Hunter, Sports Detectives, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes and Air Disasters, as well as critically-acclaimed specials that include The Day Hitler Died, David Attenborough’s Rise Of Animals -Triumph Of The Vertebrates, Spy in the Hanoi Hilton, Legend of Lead Belly and Lincoln’s Last Day. SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL is currently available to customers of Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable, Charter Communications, Cablevision, Verizon, AT&T and more. Smithsonian Networks also operates Smithsonian Earth™, a new subscription video streaming service delivering spectacular original nature and wildlife content.
- Create & update entries in internal video management system, which involves entering metadata, distribution start/end dates, and other related details
- Encode and deliver videos and closed captioning files to support various video distribution outlets, such as social media and Smithsonian Institution
- Manage the upload of encoded video files and entry of metadata/images to various CMS tools and/or spreadsheets to support external partner video distribution
- Assist in the management of full episode libraries, including coordination with the broadcast Operations department for new full episodes to be digitally processed, scheduling, etc.
- Help organize & maintain digital repository of videos and associated assets
- QA and troubleshoot video quality and availability on all digital platforms, both pre- and post-publish
- As needed, create and distribute podcast files
- 3-5 years of video operations experience
- Knowledge of video platforms, tools, and technologies, such as those by by Akamai, Telestream, and Brightcove
- Knowledge of video codecs, compression and formats.
- Extremely high level of attention to detail
- Strong focus on quality assurance of video and metadata input/output and distribution
- Technical proficiency in media management
- Experience in digital media workflows
- Basic video editing skills and knowledge of non-linear editing software
- Nice to have: knowledge of all aspects of video production