Temporary Supervisor, Video Operations (Digital)Apply
CBS Business Unit: Smithsonian Networks
Job Type: Temporary / Per Diem / Freelance
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
The Video Operations Supervisor works as part of the Video Operations team for Digital Media to support digital strategies across multiple platforms and devices. The focus of the position is on the organization, management and distribution of video and associated assets/metadata across all digital platforms and in support of all digital media initiatives.
This is a collaborative environment and you should be comfortable with interacting closely with the rest of the digital department as well as a diverse larger Smithsonian Networks team.
- Create & update entries in internal video management system, which involves entering metadata, distribution start/end dates, and other related details
- Encode and deliver videos and closed captioning files to support various video platforms
- Manage the upload of encoded video files and entry of metadata/images to various CMS tools and/or spreadsheets to support external partner video distribution
- Assist in the management of full episode libraries, including coordination with the broadcast Operations department for new full episodes to be digitally processed, scheduling, etc.
- Help organize & maintain digital repository of videos and associated assets
- QA and troubleshoot video quality and availability on all digital platforms, both pre- and post-publish
- Knowledge of video platforms, tools, and technologies, such as those by Adobe Media Encoder, Akamai, Telestream, and Brightcove
- Knowledge of video codecs, compression and formats.
- Extremely high level of attention to detail
- Strong focus on quality assurance of video and metadata input/output and distribution
- 3-5 years of video operations experience
- Technical proficiency in media management
- Experience in digital media workflows
- Basic video editing skills and knowledge of non-linear editing software
- Nice to have: knowledge of all aspects of video production
Smithsonian Channel™, owned by Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, is where curiosity lives, inspiration strikes and wonders never cease. This is the place for awe-inspiring stories, powerful documentaries and amazing entertainment across multiple platforms. Smithsonian Channel combines the storytelling prowess of SHOWTIME® with the unmatched resources and rich traditions of the Smithsonian, to create award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science, nature, and pop culture. Among the network’s offerings are series including Aerial America, America in Color, First Ladies Revealed, Polar Bear Town, The Lost Tapes, Amazing Monkeys, America’s Secret Space Heroes, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes and Air Disasters, as well as critically-acclaimed specials that include Titanic’s Fatal Fire, The Obama Years: The Power of Words, Nightmare on Everest, Diana and the Paparazzi, Diana: The Day We Said Goodbye and Flying High with Phil Keoghan. Smithsonian Networks also operates Smithsonian Earth™, through SN Digital LLC., a new subscription video streaming service delivering spectacular original nature and wildlife content. To learn more, go to www.smithsonianchannel.com, or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled