Sr. Manager, Communications - Smithsonian Channel NYCApply
CBS Business Unit: Smithsonian Networks
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
The Sr. Manager, Communications will serve a pivotal role in executing communications strategies for Smithsonian Channel to support the network’s programming, ratings, sales and branding goals. This position is also responsible for increasing brand awareness and driving tune-in through the creation of comprehensive communications strategies designed to reach key external audiences, including Smithsonian Networks viewers, executives, producers, talent, television and the creative community. Additionally, this position will be responsible for managing special events, and will handle a large portion of the program publicity campaigns for linear and digital/OTT content. The Sr. Manager will report directly into the VP, Communications.
- Develop consumer press strategies for Smithsonian Networks. Initiate and execute publicity campaigns for the network’s original programming and network branding efforts. This includes supporting all original and acquired programming, special programming initiatives, premieres and screenings, network/brand image efforts and advertising and affiliate sales initiatives in the consumer, trade and online media.
- Responsible for the strategic planning and execution of all program publicity campaigns.
- Work on day-to-day basis with the company's original programming team, marketing group, digital and social media teams, affiliate sales, distributor marketing, finance, legal and new business development teams to elevate and promote the brand.
- Counsel programming, production and scheduling departments on media exposure to promote the network’s slate of original series, specials and stunts that define the brand, as well as communications plans that maximize viewership.
- Serve as one of the key liaisons between the network and the Smithsonian Institution, and its museums’ PR teams.
- Create and disseminate programming information and photography to national and local print and broadcast media.
- Responsible for research analysis and dissemination of the network's ratings and research data to the national media.
- Manage compelling materials for press kits, stunts, special events and other PR assignments. This includes network press releases, photography and positioning statements.
- Manage logistics for all press interviews and coordination with talent
- Supervise all aspects of special events, including press stunts, conferences, events, screenings, media tours, promotional visits and local marketing activities. Responsible for supervision of all aspects of event coordination and for resulting media coverage.
- Develop talent relations strategy to enhance talent and producer relationships.
- Day-to-day supervision of coordinator and interns, as well as outside PR agencies and consultants.
- Help manage the department budget.
- Execute awards strategy to secure nominations and wins for Smithsonian network programming.
- 7-8+ years of communications experience in entertainment and media.
- Extensive experience in public relations, corporate communications and marketing in cable/broadcast television.
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously with accurate and timely results.
- Strong understanding of media, and relationships with key members of the press.
- Strong social media skills.
- Excellent creative writing skills. Advanced computer skills.
- Managerial experience.
- Self-starter, who is also highly collaborative and a strategic thinker. Creative problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced deadline-oriented department. Ability to work under pressure.
- Highly organized and clear communicator.
- Ability to adapt to changing situations.
- Extensive knowledge and industry experience in television and unscripted programming.
- Excellent interpersonal and verbal communication skills
Smithsonian Channel™, owned by Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, is where curiosity lives, inspiration strikes and wonders never cease. This is the place for awe-inspiring stories, powerful documentaries and amazing entertainment across multiple platforms. Smithsonian Channel combines the storytelling prowess of SHOWTIME® with the unmatched resources and rich traditions of the Smithsonian, to create award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science, nature, and pop culture. Among the network’s offerings are series including Aerial America, America in Color, First Ladies Revealed, Polar Bear Town, The Lost Tapes, Amazing Monkeys, America’s Secret Space Heroes, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes and Air Disasters, as well as critically-acclaimed specials that include Titanic’s Fatal Fire, The Obama Years: The Power of Words, Nightmare on Everest, Diana and the Paparazzi, Diana: The Day We Said Goodbye and Flying High with Phil Keoghan. Smithsonian Networks also operates Smithsonian Earth™, through SN Digital LLC., a new subscription video streaming service delivering spectacular original nature and wildlife content. To learn more, go to www.smithsonianchannel.com, or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled