Senior Software Developer/ArchitectApply
CBS Business Unit: Smithsonian Networks
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Smithsonian Channel™, owned by Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, is where curiosity lives, inspiration strikes and wonders never cease. The Channel's Emmy and Peabody Award-winning programming entertains, educates and inspires. Program genres include history, science, nature, and pop culture. SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL travels beyond the ordinary to reveal a vast scope of exciting stories and experiences to fuel the curiosity in all of us. Among the network’s offerings are series that include Aerial America, Million Dollar American Princesses, The Weapon Hunter, Sports Detectives, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes and Air Disasters, as well as critically-acclaimed specials that include The Day Hitler Died, David Attenborough’s Rise Of Animals -Triumph Of The Vertebrates, Spy in the Hanoi Hilton, Legend of Lead Belly and Lincoln’s Last Day. SMITHSONIAN CHANNEL is currently available to customers of Comcast, DirecTV, Time Warner Cable, Charter Communications, Cablevision, Verizon, AT&T and more. Smithsonian Networks also operates Smithsonian Earth™, a new subscription video streaming service delivering spectacular original nature and wildlife content.
Smithsonian Networks, a joint venture between Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, seeks a Sr. Backend Developer with broad experience in software architecture and engineering.
Candidate should have primary focus on backend Java, but with interest and experience in other languages and technologies. This developer would join a small but mighty technology and product development team with a wide range of skill sets to develop products and platforms for both Smithsonian Channel and Smithsonian Earth. They will build and support external user-facing products, the tools used internally to manage them, as well as the data feeds and/or APIs that power them. You will also have opportunities to collaborate and share codebases, knowledge, and application development with the extended Showtime development teams.
In this particular position, you will play a pivotal role in architecting and developing the future of Smithsonian Networks digital properties. Building out the optimal application infrastructure and technology toolset for our future growth and success is a key priority for our digital team and this person will help to define, develop and execute on a shared vision.
This is a collaborative environment and you should be comfortable with interacting with other developers as well as a diverse larger team.
- Technical design, architecture and development of software features and enhancements, integrations, as well as full applications for desktop/mobile websites & app platforms, working in conjunction with other developers and product/project management team members.
- Provide input into all necessary aspects of project planning and sprint task planning (task breakdown, estimates, feasibility) as well as contribute to wiki documentation for developed features/products
- Participate in assessing potential vendors and technologies to determine solution viability.
- Mentor and share knowledge with members of the team, and participate in code reviews.
- Embrace a highly collaborative team that values dedication, teamwork and creative thinking and critical problem-solving
- Keep abreast of emerging technologies and recommend usage where appropriate
- 5-7+ years of web application development experience using Java, including familiarity with and use of modern frameworks (e.g. Spring, Hibernate)
- Significant experience working on and with relational databases, SQL and newer NoSQL data stores (e.g. Oracle, mySQL, mongoDB, etc)
- Ability to articulate and apply Object Oriented and Service Oriented software engineer design principles and patterns, standards and coding best practices.
- Strong experience with web service integration, REST/JSON, XML and developing and using web based APIs
- Experience defining complex end-to-end architectural solutions, ideally involving online digital services
- Experience with Atlassian software - JIRA, Confluence, Bamboo, Stash etc. as well as version control systems e.g. BitBucket, Git, etc.
- Interest in new technologies and exploring & learning alternate languages/platforms
- Ability to collaborate with team to define requirements, interfaces, and implementation approaches in an Agile development environment
- Ability to create technical specifications, debate technical tradeoffs, and explain technical concepts to business users
- Solid understanding of full site architecture concerns (HTTP / Cookies, caching, Web Performance, scalability, security, third party integration, etc)
- Experience acting as a technical lead, ability to mentor and lead other software engineers
- Ability to be flexible in a dynamic business environment, comfortable working on a variety of different types of projects for two distinct businesses
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Engineering or other technical field (or equivalent professional experience)
NICE TO HAVE
· Previous work experience in digital media, preferably at a media company (television, publishing, etc.)
- Experience with Scala, MongoDB, and/or ElasticSearch
- Experience architecting/developing/integrating user registration systems and/or e-commerce services
- Experience with Systems Architecture - Nginx, Tomcat, caching technologies
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related technical discipline
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled