Lead Software EngineerApply
CBS Business Unit: Smithsonian Networks
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Is crafting elegant, efficient, and high-quality software your true calling in life? Are you interested in helping to bring amazing content to thousands of users? Do you love the intersection between development and product? Do you have the desire to lead, mentor and grow an awesome team of engineers? Do you want your voice to be heard in the projects that you are working on? If that’s you, let’s talk.
Smithsonian Channel seeks a talented Lead Software Engineer with a strong focus on the JVM and related technologies. You will build and support external user-facing products, the tools used internally to manage them, as well as the data feeds and/or APIs that power them. This developer would join a small but mighty technology and product development team with a wide range of skill sets to develop products and platforms for Smithsonian Channel. In addition, you will be looked to as the leader and mentor of the backend development team and will help to grow that team in both skills and size. The right attitude is vital to this role - you must be an open, collaborative person who is interested in being a key member of a dedicated team.
Our Key Technologies:
Java, Spring/Spring Boot, GraphQL, Postgres, Oracle, Git, Docker, Kubernetes, Jenkins, Amazon Web Services, Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Redis
- 7+ years of experience of product-driven software development using Java
- Deep knowledge of core Java concepts, OOP and expertise using an RDBMS system
- Extensive experience writing code that is well-crafted and scalable
- Experience in many or all of the above technologies, or a true desire and capacity to learn them
- Familiarity with web applications, architectures, and deployment
- A strongly team-focused and collaborative attitude, with excellent communication skills and a demonstrated ability to lead and mentor engineers
- A keen desire to master new technologies and to share knowledge
- A self-starter who can not only craft new solutions but dive into existing code, understand it and enhance it
You might also have:
- Experience writing Spring / Spring Boot based applications
- An keen interest GraphQL
- Familiarity with Linux
- Some experience using Docker, Kubernetes, and working in AWS
- Previous work experience in digital media, preferably at a media company (television, publishing, etc.)
Please be able to provide a portfolio link or code samples for projects that you are proud of.
Smithsonian Channel™, owned by Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, is where curiosity lives, inspiration strikes and wonders never cease. This is the place for awe-inspiring stories, powerful documentaries and amazing entertainment across multiple platforms. Smithsonian Channel combines the storytelling prowess of SHOWTIME® with the unmatched resources and rich traditions of the Smithsonian, to create award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science, nature, and pop culture. Among the network’s offerings are series including Aerial America, America in Color, First Ladies Revealed, Polar Bear Town, The Lost Tapes, Amazing Monkeys, America’s Secret Space Heroes, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes and Air Disasters, as well as critically-acclaimed specials that include Titanic’s Fatal Fire, The Obama Years: The Power of Words, Nightmare on Everest, Diana and the Paparazzi, Diana: The Day We Said Goodbye and Flying High with Phil Keoghan. Smithsonian Networks also operates Smithsonian Earth™, through SN Digital LLC., a new subscription video streaming service delivering spectacular original nature and wildlife content. To learn more, go to www.smithsonianchannel.com, or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled