Java Developer, Cloud Development (Smithsonian Channel)Apply
CBS Business Unit: Smithsonian Networks
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
Is crafting elegant, efficient, and awesome software your true calling in life? Do you like the idea of working within a cloud-native environment? Are you an avid learner who’s always looking to polish their knowledge? Do you want your voice to be heard in the projects that you are working on? If that’s you, we should talk.
Smithsonian Channel seeks a talented Software Engineer with a strong focus on the JVM/related technologies and experience developing and deploying on cloud infrastructure. But you won’t just be building “software” - you’ll be building the engine that powers all our digital customer products and making sure it runs efficiently and consistently for all our customers. This position presents an opportunity to work on exciting digital projects on a small but mighty team. Join us as we build the future of television!
- A fully modern tech stack
- Exciting projects and opportunities that will challenge you
- A small, yet high-caliber team of developers
- A fancy for writing quality software
- A get-it-done attitude
- A team of digital pioneers that you will be working with to craft custom solutions for a wide range of projects
- 3+ years of experience writing enterprise software using Java.
- 2+ years of DevOps and/or SysAdmin experience within a Linux environment
- 1+ years of production environment experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- 1+ years of hands-on experience with containerization of applications (Docker) and deployment into production environments (Docker Swarm, Amazon ECS, Kubernetes, Mesosphere Marathon, or similar)
- The ability to write clean, well-crafted and maintainable code.
- The ability to solve problems independently and in a team environment
- The motivation to adapt to and eagerness to learn emerging technologies
- The ability to play nicely with other humans (i.e. people skills)
- Self-starter mode
You might also have:
- Experience writing Spring / Spring Boot based applications
- A keen interest in learning & using GraphQL
- Previous work experience in digital media, preferably at a media company (television, publishing, etc.)
Smithsonian Channel™, owned by Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between Showtime Networks Inc. and the Smithsonian Institution, is where curiosity lives, inspiration strikes and wonders never cease. This is the place for awe-inspiring stories, powerful documentaries and amazing entertainment across multiple platforms. Smithsonian Channel combines the storytelling prowess of SHOWTIME® with the unmatched resources and rich traditions of the Smithsonian, to create award-winning programming that shines new light on popular genres such as air and space, history, science, nature, and pop culture. Among the network’s offerings are series including Aerial America, America in Color, First Ladies Revealed, Polar Bear Town, The Lost Tapes, Amazing Monkeys, America’s Secret Space Heroes, Mighty Ships, Mighty Planes and Air Disasters, as well as critically-acclaimed specials that include Titanic’s Fatal Fire, The Obama Years: The Power of Words, Nightmare on Everest, Diana and the Paparazzi, Diana: The Day We Said Goodbye and Flying High with Phil Keoghan. Smithsonian Networks also operates Smithsonian Earth™, through SN Digital LLC., a new subscription video streaming service delivering spectacular original nature and wildlife content. To learn more, go to www.smithsonianchannel.com, or connect with us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled