Data Scientist - Data StrategyApply
CBS Business Unit: Showtime
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
SHOWTIME and its critically-acclaimed, award-winning original series continue to make their mark on the cultural landscape, with one of the most successful programming slates in all of television. With an impressive line-up of new and returning original series, the SHOWTIME hit dramas and comedies include HOMELAND, SHAMELESS, BILLIONS, RAY DONOVAN, THE AFFAIR, EPISODES, DICE, the upcoming drama I’M DYING UP HERE, the limited series GUERRILLA and PURITY, and the highly anticipated return of TWIN PEAKS.
Original series play a key part in the SHOWTIME programming mix, along with box office hits, comedy and music specials, provocative documentaries, and hard-hitting sports programming, including the flagship franchise SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING®, the Emmy Award-winning documentary series ALL ACCESS, A SEASON WITH and the Emmy Award-winning veteran series INSIDE THE NFL.
Showtime Networks Inc. (SNI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of CBS Corporation, owns and operates the premium television networks SHOWTIME®, THE MOVIE CHANNEL™ and FLIX®, and also offers SHOWTIME ON DEMAND®, THE MOVIE CHANNEL™ ON DEMAND and FLIX ON DEMAND®, and the network's authentication service SHOWTIME ANYTIME®. Showtime Digital Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of SNI, operates the stand-alone streaming service SHOWTIME®. SNI also manages Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between SNI and the Smithsonian Institution, which offers Smithsonian Channel™, and offers Smithsonian Earth™ through SN Digital LLC. SNI markets and distributes sports and entertainment events for exhibition to subscribers on a pay-per-view basis through SHOWTIME PPV. For more information, go to www.SHO.com.
Showtime is seeking a Data Scientist to join its newly created Data Strategy team. This role will report to the VP, Data Strategy & Consumer Analytics and will work alongside members of Research, Consumer and Digital Marketing, Media and Product Management teams. The Data Strategy team was created to build a robust analytics capability that can transform billions of customer data points into actionable machine learning models, analytical products and consumer insights to support marketing automation and data-driven decision making in every corner of our business.
- Developing innovative, scalable machine learning and data mining solutions that mine complex user behavioral data and transform it into actionable insights
- Extensive code development, debugging, optimizing, and productionizing
- Conducting ad hoc analysis, building models, forecasting viewing behavior
- Constructing and presenting research ideas, prototypes and proofs of concepts
- Identifying, ingesting, and enriching a wide range of structured and unstructured big data into datasets for analysis
- Defining strategies and parameters for predictive models and data mining projects, ensuring data integrity and usability
- Analyzing and evaluating model results, providing ongoing monitoring and improvements
- Staying abreast of new developments in machine learning in order to investigate and develop new “challenger” approaches to compete against current “champions”
- Helping craft the long-term data strategy for the organization and advocating for the intelligent use of data throughout the business
About You: You LOVE data, programming and math. You have the attitude that whatever you do not know you can learn. You are an exceptional communicator with extensive experience presenting complex models and detailed analysis in simplified ways to non-technical staff. You have phenomenal Python and SQL coding skills (nearly developer level) and tons of experience with Big Data technologies and platforms (Pyspark, Hive and Hadoop). Your coding expertise is vital since we look to leverage automation in every way possible to maximize our reach and impact. Finally, you have a very sophisticated understanding of machine learning, statistics and data science principles and a proven record of successfully putting them into practice.
- Master's degree or equivalent in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Data Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, Operations Research or Physics
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with machine learning, predictive modeling and statistical analysis techniques in a business environment
- Exceptional programming skills in Python (pandas, scikit-learn, statsmodels, IPython, matplotlib)
- Highly advanced SQL skills and experience with both relational and non-relational databases
- Experience with additional programming languages and statistical platforms is a plus: R, Scala, Java, MATLAB, SAS
- Deep experience in regression, classification models, bagging, boosting, decision trees, neural networks, support vector machines, dimensionality reduction, clustering and experimental design
- Expert user of Big Data technologies and platforms (Pyspark, Hive and Hadoop) and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau)
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills with a sharp ability to simplify complex concepts and convey actionable solutions
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled