Data Scientist - ProductApply
SHOWTIME and its critically-acclaimed, award-winning original series continue to make their mark on the cultural landscape, with one of the most successful programming slates in all of television. With an impressive line-up of new and returning original series, the SHOWTIME hit dramas and comedies include HOMELAND, SHAMELESS, BILLIONS, RAY DONOVAN, THE AFFAIR, EPISODES, DICE, the upcoming drama I’M DYING UP HERE, the limited series GUERRILLA and PURITY, and the highly anticipated return of TWIN PEAKS.
Original series play a key part in the SHOWTIME programming mix, along with box office hits, comedy and music specials, provocative documentaries, and hard-hitting sports programming, including the flagship franchise SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING®, the Emmy Award-winning documentary series ALL ACCESS, A SEASON WITH and the Emmy Award-winning veteran series INSIDE THE NFL.
Showtime Networks Inc. (SNI), a wholly-owned subsidiary of CBS Corporation, owns and operates the premium television networks SHOWTIME®, THE MOVIE CHANNEL™ and FLIX®, and also offers SHOWTIME ON DEMAND®, THE MOVIE CHANNEL™ ON DEMAND and FLIX ON DEMAND®, and the network's authentication service SHOWTIME ANYTIME®. Showtime Digital Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of SNI, operates the stand-alone streaming service SHOWTIME®. SNI also manages Smithsonian Networks™, a joint venture between SNI and the Smithsonian Institution, which offers Smithsonian Channel™, and offers Smithsonian Earth™ through SN Digital LLC. SNI markets and distributes sports and entertainment events for exhibition to subscribers on a pay-per-view basis through SHOWTIME PPV. For more information, go to www.SHO.com.
The primary responsibility of the Product Data Scientist is to utilize machine learning and visualization techniques to drive insights and to help power data-driven features like recommendations for SHOWTIME, our stand-alone streaming service, and Showtime Anytime, our TV Everywhere service.
In this role, reporting to the Director of Product Analytics, the Product Data Scientist must be able to extract data, model and optimize production algorithms across our platforms, query and manipulate data on an ad-hoc basis by constructing SQL queries, use Python or R. Additionally the Product Data Scientist must be flexible to quickly learn open source and big-data technologies such as Spark, Hadoop and Hive.
• Utilize machine learning techniques to research and implement live algorithms across our platforms.
• Design advanced data-visualization dashboards and presentations which facilitate unique views into our product.
• Interact with our core, cloud-based big data framework and provide an end user perspective to our data engineers in an effort to drive platform upgrades and functionality.
- Proven experience on unstructured data-based projects, preferably in industry
- Strong understanding of statistical methodologies: Regression analysis, Clustering, other ML techniques.
- Analytical, detail-oriented and results-focused
- 2+ years working with data science toolkits in R, Python or Matlab (a combination of industry and academic experience is acceptable)
- Experience working with big-data technology on Linux-based systems is a significant plus
- Experience writing SQL queries on structured and unstructured data sets
- Outstanding communication skills with the ability to summarize complex results into digestible analysis
- Master’s degree in a quantitative or technical field such as Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Mathematics or Economics, or significant data-based industry experience