Part-time On-Air Host (WJFK-AM)
CBS Business Unit: CBS Radio
Job Type: Part-Time (without benefits)
Job Schedule: Part-Time
Job Location: Washington, DC, US
CBS RADIO is one of the largest major-market broadcast media operators in the United States and the undisputed leader in news and sports radio. Producing original audio and video content, live events and exclusive programming broadcast via on-air, online and mobile platforms, CBS RADIO reaches more than 72 million consumers nationwide each week. As a part of CBS Corporation, the division owns and operates 117 radio stations in 26 markets – including the top 10 as ranked by Nielsen Audio – as well as an extensive array of digital assets. CBS RADIO distributes its programming via AM, FM and HD Radio stations, Radio.com and CBS Local Digital Media apps, making engaging with audiences easier than ever before. For more information, please visit www.cbsradio.com.
CBS Radio seeks ON AIR HOST in Washington, DC.
Position consists of hosting news and talk programs focused on Capitol Hill, Defense, Military, and Veterans' Affairs in an incredibly past-paced deadline driven environment.
This is a hands-on position that spans every aspect of modern journalism, combining text, images, sound, video and graphics; to produce interesting stories.
The ideal candidate is former military or a civilian who has worked in communications in government or military with experience writing, editing, and conducting in-person interviews.
Job Duties Include:
- Hosting long form live and/or recorded news and talk programs for on-air, podcasting and video.
- Anchoring breaking news coverage, producing features, reading commercials, and contributing daily to website and social media platforms.
- Staying up to date on current events and issues important to active military and veterans.
- Responsible for establishing and monitoring news sources.
- Writing and producing quality news stories for multiple media platforms.
- Extemporaneous on-air delivery that conveys the sound of movement, immediacy, and urgency in a conversational , unrushed style.
- Flair for crafting simple, easy to understand, "ear catching" writing.
- The journalistic chops to make sense of complex news stories and the talent to write them in a clear, concise, and lively manner.
- Adeptness at handling live interviews and going "off script" during breaking news situations.
- This position requires extensive writing under constant deadline pressure and the ability to run a complex audio-console while live.
- Familiarity with the culture, needs, and sensibilities of active military and veterans.
- Up to date on FCC regulations and broadcast standards.
- Three years' experience as an anchor, reporter, writer, news editor or producer in any media.
- Bachelor's degree or relevant military experience.
- Strong drive to succeed, willingness to learn, and the ability to demonstrate all the requisite skills for the position will also be considered.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled