WCBS 880 is looking for motivated individuals for PART TIME opportunities as Desk Assistant. The job of a Desk Assistant is to aid the entire WCBS-AM staff in accomplishing the station's mission of putting out a compelling news product. WCBS needs a candidate who can multi-task and handle numerous responsibilities that are vital to the day-to-day operation of a newsroom.
One of the most significant duties of a Desk Assistant is the answering of the newsroom phone. The candidate will answer phones in a professional matter as numerous dignitaries, politicians and other news professionals call the station daily. Desk Assistants will provide reporters and staff with information and research, and edit numerous sources of sound. These sources will include reporter pieces, interviews, and news events. While working as a tape operator, the candidate must know how to conduct an interview and know how to isolate news from that interview. The producer will assign tasks to the Desk Assistant and those tasks must be completed in a timely fashion.
This individual will work closely with the Director of News & Programming and other News Managers. The successful candidate will be required to understand the WCBS 880 Brand and all aspects of the news product that we deliver
· Successful candidates must have a passion for local news and must be interested in learning how to identify and tell compelling stories
· Must be a polished professional with excellent communication skills and phone skills
· Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines
· Experience in audio editing
· Excellent writing and interviewing skills
Bachelor’s Degree required; communications/journalism preferred