News Associate, Washington DC BureauApply
CBS Business Unit: CBS News
Job Type: Temporary / Per Diem / Freelance
Job Schedule: Full-Time
Job Location: New York, NY, US
CBS was established in 1928, when founder William Paley purchased 16 independent radio stations and christened them the Columbia Broadcast System. Today, with more than 200 television stations and affiliates reaching virtually every home in the United States, CBS's total network lineup was watched by more than 130 million people a week during the 2012/2013 season. The Network has the #1 drama/scripted program, NCIS; #1 sitcom, THE BIG BANG THEORY; #1 newsmagazine, 60 MINUTES; and #1 daytime drama, THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Its programming arms include CBS Entertainment, CBS News and CBS Sports.
CBS News is seeking candidates for the News Associates Program, a 15-month, highly competitive program where individuals rotate among a variety of broadcasts and departments including Face the Nation, CBS Evening News, CBS This Morning and the National Desk. This entry-level program is designed to identify outstanding aspiring journalists who are interested in pursuing a career in journalism and broadcasting and can bring a fresh and diverse insight to the areas of news production and news coverage. This program is not designed for people who wish to be on-air.
Primary responsibilities include conducting research, fact-checking, transcribing footage, running script, assisting on shoots, monitoring breaking news, pitching stories, attending planning and creative meetings and sourcing images and footage.
Applicants are interviewed and admitted on a rolling basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in Journalism, Broadcasting or Communications
- Must be detail-oriented, have strong writing and research skills and be able to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Must have the confidence to pitch story ideas to show producers
- Ability to work weekends, holidays, early mornings, and/or overnight shifts
- Knowledge of camera equipment and video editing is preferable
- Newsroom experience/internship at a local station or network is preferable
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled