Communications Director, DC BureauApply
The Communications Director for the DC Bureau manages the communications and media-relations for the Bureau. The CD works closely with the executive team and DC based correspondents and producers, and is the principal on-the-record spokesperson for all Washington Bureau matters, in addition to any matters related to CBS News’ political reporting, polling, or the press pool.
The CD works closely with Face the Nation's Producers including earned-media on Face the Nation interviews, show announcements and broadcast publicity. It is the responsibility of the CD to pitch and garner media attention for CBS News’ Washington talent and executives, and earned media for coverage and pieces produced in Washington.
As the election cycle ramps up, the CD will help plan, execute, and staff CBS News’ earned media strategy during the 2020 election cycle, including the presidential primary and general debates, the RNC and DNC, and Election Night coverage.
- Candidates for the position of Communications Director at CBS News must have the following qualifications:
- College level or higher education
- A minimum of 5 years communications experience working in public relations, media, or politics
- Strong communication skills—both written and verbal
- News judgement and understanding of politics
- A wide range of strong relationships with members of the political & media press corps
- Ability to keep calm under pressure and multi-task