Campaign Reporter, Political Unit, Wash DCApply
The CBS News political unit is seeking seven Digital Journalists with strong reporting skills to cover the 2020 presidential election. Utilizing sound editorial/news judgement, he/she will have a demonstrated ability to report on elections, candidates, issues and trends across the country, to log candidate events quickly and accurately, to produce editorial content for the network’s use, to cultivate sources, and to write for CBSNews.com.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 years’ of journalism experience, and the ability to thrive in a deadline driven news environment. He/She will have superior writing, editing, communication and research skills, strong relationship-building skills, the ability to prioritize and work calmly under pressure, and a self-starter mentality. Understanding how traditional news stories translate into great digital content, he/she will also write stories for CBSNews.com.
- Report on 2020 election and candidates, issues and trends across the country, helping tell the story of the evolving political landscape, voter trends, and voter enthusiasm
- Produce editorial content for all CBS News platforms, including CBS This Morning, Evening News, Face the Nation, CBSN, and cbsnews.com
- Write stories for CBSNews.com, keeping within brand
- Coordinate and conduct candidate interviews
- Log candidate events and interviews quickly and accurately
- Cultivate sources and build relationships with campaign staff and political operatives
- 2+ years’ experience working in a deadline driven, news environment
- Highly developed relationship-building skills
- Familiarity with all of CBS News’ platforms
- Proficiency in shooting (additional camera training will be provided)
- Strong editorial/news judgement with ability to prioritize and work calmly under pressure
- Strong writing, communication, and editing skills; Avid preferred
- A self-starter who is comfortable with an intense travel schedule and working weekends
- Broadcast, Print or Digital experience covering politics, White House, or Congress preferred. Demonstrated interest in politics and policy required.
- College degree in broadcast journalism, history, or political science strongly preferred