Associate Producer, Political Unit, Wash DCApply
The CBS News political unit is seeking three Associate Producers with strong reporting skills to cover the 2020 presidential, federal and state elections. Utilizing sound editorial/news judgement, he/she will have a demonstrated ability to report on elections, candidates, issues and trends across the country, to conduct thorough and smart research, to organize tape and editorial content for all CBS News platforms, to cultivate sources, and to write for CBSNews.com.
Our ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 years’ of journalism experience, and the ability to thrive in a deadline driven news environment. He/She will have superior writing, editing, communication and research skills, superior organizations skills, strong relationship-building skills, and the ability to prioritize and work calmly under pressure. Understanding how traditional news stories translate into great digital content, he/she will write stories for CBSNews.com.
He/she will also assist the political director and coordinating producer with logistics, coordinating and conducting candidate interviews, and helping to organize tape and editorial content from reporters and digital journalists on the campaign trail.
- Report on 2020 election and candidates, issues and trends across the country, helping tell the story of the evolving political landscape, voter trends, and voter enthusiasm
- Compile elements for all CBS News platforms and write stories for CBSNews.com, keeping within brand
- Coordinate and conduct candidate interviews
- Research the key political races and candidates for the 2020 presidential, federal, and state elections, as well as issues and trends that will affect voter turnout
- Organize tape and editorial content for broadcasts’ use
- Track fundraising, early state visits, and midterm involvement of potential 2020 candidates
- Assist polling unit in producing content to bring polls to life
- 2+ years’ experience working in a deadline driven, news environment
- Superior organizational skills
- Familiarity with all of CBS News’ platforms
- Highly developed relationship-building skills
- Strong editorial/news judgement with ability to prioritize and work calmly under pressure
- Strong writing, communication, and editing skills; Avid preferred
- Ability to travel and work weekends on short notice when necessary
- Broadcast, Print or Digital experience covering politics, White House, or Congress preferred. Demonstrated interest in politics and policy required.
- College degree in broadcast journalism, history, or political science strongly preferred