Associate Producer, CBS News Political Unit, Washington, D.C.Apply
The CBS News political unit is seeking an Associate Producer with strong reporting skills to cover the midterm elections. Utilizing sound editorial/news judgement, he/she will have a demonstrated ability to report on elections, candidates, issues and trends across the country, to cultivate sources, and to write for CBSNews.com.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 2 years’ of journalism experience, and the ability to thrive in a deadline driven news environment. He/She will have superior writing, editing and research skills, and strong relationship-building skills. Understanding how traditional news stories translate into great digital content, He/She will write stories for CBSNews.com.
- Report on midterm elections and candidates, issues and trends across the country, helping tell the story of the evolving political landscape, voter trends, and voter enthusiasm
- Write stories for CBSNews.com, keeping within brand
- Research the key political races and candidates for the 2018 midterms, as well as issues and trends that will affect voter turnout
- Track fundraising, early state visits, and midterm involvement of potential 2020 candidates
- Assist polling unit in producing content to bring polls to life
- Organize tape for broadcasts’ use
- 2+ years experience working in a deadline driven, news environment
- Highly developed relationship-building skills
- Strong editorial/news judgement with ability to prioritize and work calmly under pressure
- Strong writing and editing skills; Avid preferred
- Ability to travel and work weekends on short notice when necessary
- Broadcast, Print or Digital experience covering politics, White House, or Congress preferred
- College degree in broadcast journalism, history, or political science strongly preferred