Associate Producer, Assignment DeskApply
CBS Washington has an opening for an Associate Producer who is flexible to work all shifts, the weekend and holidays who can determine news assignments as supervised by the Managing Editor; Monitor social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, etc.) and AP wires for spot news; Telephone law enforcement and firefighting agencies in addition to DC related agencies, i.e., FBI, DEA, FEMA to learn if spot news must be assigned; check wires for on air bulletins or special reports and new story assignments; prepare a situationer describing in detail what stories are being covered and who is covering them; gather information by telephone on news stories which are not assigned to reporters; working with respective beat producers and reporters on stories being covered; participate in story meetings to inform participants of events being covered; schedule remote trucks (ENG/SNG) for live news stories or interviews; develop contacts in community and cultivate those contacts for news stories; perform other duties which may be assigned from time to time based upon events of the day. Opportunity to go into the filed.
· 3+ years assignment desk experience required; local TV news experience with familiarity with DC-Maryland-Virginia area strongly preferred.
- Requires strong editorial judgement
- Requires highly developed relationship building skills.
- Ability to multi-task and thrive in a dynamic, quickly-changing environment is essential.
- A focus on multi-media content is required.
- Understanding TV newsgathering and transmission technology.
- Knowledge of regional television markets and station relationships a plus.
- Degree in broadcast journalism or related field strongly preferred.