Video Software Engineer (VSE)
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: New York, NY, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse to get an inside look into #LifeAtCBSi through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
The Video Technology team develops industry leading online and mobile video delivery systems and IP for CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBS News, CNET, GameSpot.com, and the entire suite of CBS Interactive sites. Our team is responsible for the delivery of premium content to millions of people every day. We set company-wide video standards and help internal business units integrate the video delivery stack into their specific online products. Additionally, the team serves as the company’s information resource on current and future trends in digital video. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in doing high-visibility, mission-critical work.
You’ll be an integral part of the central Video Technology team, working with other video tech engineers to build and maintain core video playback solutions for desktop and mobile web browsers. The ideal candidate will be very familiar with the current state of online digital video delivery to the browser, including deep knowledge of HTML5 Video, Media Source Extensions (MSE) and Encrypted Media Extensions. The VSE will have extensive experience doing full-cycle development, including coding, building and distributing frameworks/libraries for use in larger applications.
- Investigate and troubleshoot video playback issues, especially in cases involving MSE.
- Field questions and requests from site-side developers (users of the JS video player) and Product team members, as well as members of other “central’ teams (e.g., Ad Operations).
- Review code submissions (pull requests) from other team members.
- Work closely with the QA coordinator to facilitate testing across a variety of devices.
- Integration of Digital Rights Management (DRM) into the JS player
- Re-architecting the JS video player codebase
- Support for increasing and diverse mobile video delivery needs
What you bring to the team:
- 3+ years proven experience developing video playback systems
- Experience working with HTML5 Video on Mobile Devices
- Experience with H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP9, AAC video and audio codec standards
- Experience with container formats, transmuxing and streaming protocols (DASH/HLS)
- Familiarity with event-driven architectures and client-server communication
- Demonstrated experience in developing interactive video applications
- Excellent understanding of Object Oriented Programming and Design
- Experience with technical writing and design documentation
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science or Equivalent
You might also have:
- Familiarity with Digital Rights Management in the browser. Experience with VMAP, VAST specifications.
All candidates must successfully complete a background check prior to starting employment at CBS Interactive. CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled