Vice President of Engineering - News DigitalApply
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: New York, NY, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
The Vice President of Software Engineering will manage technology strategy and lead direct-to-consumer media products, streaming and platform development for the CBS New Digital team. This includes oversight of the day to day development and platform support, long range initiatives planning, collaboration with cross-functional business leaders and partners, and management of a dynamic team providing “best in class” support. This role will report to Executive Vice President and General Manager of the News Digital Team and will have oversight of the Engineering, Project Management and Quality Assurance functions.
The CBS News Digital team supports CBS News on all digital platforms, including CBSN, CBS News' digital streaming news network featuring live, anchored coverage across platforms, as well as CBSNews.com, mobile apps and OTT apps.
Your Day-to- Day:
- Provide support for CBSN, a live anchored multi-platform streaming news network
- Lead strong innovative engineering, automation and quality assurance teams for a team of 30 + technologists
- Oversee content management system, web, mobile apps, video publishing & streaming platforms, content feeds and cloud migration initiatives
- Collaborate with Product Team and third party partners to develop both short and long range strategic roadmap planning
- Develop conceptual designs and technology architecture vision, assign project work to team members with clear direction
- Apply knowledge of media and control room operations and workflows to lead digital transformation projects, budget, timelines, design, integration and application commissioning
- Build and maintain a stable and high-performance technical environment
What you bring to the team:
You have -
- 10+ years of recent experience with development management experience
- 5+ years of people management experience and the ability to operate with influence.
- Be a leader that your team is excited to follow, both through regular and planned activities, but also when plans change unexpectedly due to outside influence
- Understanding of and interest in the live and breaking news ecosystem
- Experience with the following key technologies:
- PHP, MySQL, Node.JS
- OTT and Mobile Apps development (Swift, Roku, Android, JS)
- Cloud (AWS, GCP) and CDN
- EKS, EC2, S3, Glacier, Kinesis, Lambda, Direct Connect, Aurora, DynamoDB, API Gateway, Redshift, Step Functions, Elastic Search, Cognito, AWS Batch
- Jira, Jenkins, Github, Terraform
- Media workflow technologies
- Experience with the following technical skill sets
- Architectural Design, Product development and Tech Project management
- Microservice implementations (AWS EKS, Kubernetes, Docker)
- Understanding of IP networking and IP media standards
- Understanding of codecs and file formats (SD, HD, 4K, UHD)
- Understanding of the three major cloud vendors (AWS, Azure, GCP)
- Backend, Front-end, Database, and UI/UX Experience
- Ability to apply agile and lean development methodologies
- Act with clear and decisive direction. Don’t be afraid to make decisions, but be prepared to pivot or change course when appropriate
- Demonstrate a high tolerance for high pressure deadlines, work well with others and provide a supportive attitude for all colleagues.
- Ability to grow with the industry, adapting to new technologies as they develop
- Embrace your role as the ultimate responsible party and senior subject matter expert for technology.
- Strong customer service skills and unfailing professionalism
- Partner closely and collaborate enthusiastically with both clients at the local facilities and peers across O&T
- Demonstrate impeccable written and verbal communication and presentation skills for both technical and non-technical audiences
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled