Senior Video Data Engineer (VDE)Apply
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: New York, NY, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
The Video Technology team develops industry leading online and mobile video delivery systems and IP for CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBS News, CNET, GameSpot.com, and the entire suite of CBS Interactive sites. Our team is responsible for the delivery of premium content to millions of people every day. We set company-wide video standards and help internal business units integrate the video delivery stack into their specific online products. Additionally, the team serves as the company’s information resource on current and future trends in digital video. This is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in doing high-visibility, mission-critical work.
The Video Delivery, Experience & Optimization group is a new team working within the Central Video Tech team that is focused on using a data-driven approach to understanding, improving and monitoring the end-user video experience. The group will work across the video ecosystem/stack to allow data to drive decisions and actions made in Encoding, Players, Content Delivery Networks(CDNs), and many other areas. Exposing these valuable insights to all businesses at CBSi will allow them to provide the best experiences for their users and assist in maximizing user engagement and revenues.
You’ll be an integral part of the Video Delivery, Experience & Optimization team, working on building new pipelines/workflows for collection, processing and analysis of data from internal and external services to deliver reports and insights into end-user experience of video services across CBSi. You will be involved with the Central Video Tech team to discover actionable insights and monitor the impact of experiments and changes made across the Video ecosystem. The ideal candidate will be very familiar with the current state of data analysis/processing as well as have experience or an interest in learning about the internals and components of a Streaming Video Delivery service.
- Design and implementation of Data Warehouse and analysis systems
- Import, clean-up and correlation of data sets coming from a large set of disparate internal and external systems/services
- Working with members of the Central Video Tech team and businesses across CBSi to understand and report on the most critical metrics as they relate to end-user Video Experience
- Setup of dashboards and recurring reports that provide useful ongoing updates to all businesses
- Work with other internal teams and external vendors to ensure that all of the required beacons and data are being collected from front-end clients and back-end services/systems to produce the required reports.
- Represent CBS Interactive in standards and industry groups to develop standards for measurement and reporting of Video Quality of Experience metrics across the industry
- Setup of a new data warehouse and configure import of data from a number of sources
- Build reports of critical video experience metrics for key businesses that can be distributed on a regular basis
- Configure alerting systems to help understand anomalies, outages and performance issues in video operations across CBSi
What you bring to the team:
- 5 years proven experience developing data processing and analysis workflows/systems
- Familiarity with Big Data tools/products from Google Cloud and/or Amazon Web Services
- Strong SQL skills and experience with developing complex queries across a number of data different sets
- Experience with business intelligence and reporting tools and workflows to build reports and dashboards
- Experience with technical writing and design documentation
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Equivalent
You might also have:
- Experience working with Video Quality of Experience Measurement vendors such as Conviva, Nice People at Work or Mux
- Experience with Audience/User Tracking and metrics including Adobe Omniture, Google Analytics, comScore and Nielsen
- Experience with H.264/AVC, H.265/HEVC, VP9, AAC video and audio codec standards
- Understanding of media container formats(MP4, fMP4/CMAF, TS) and manifest formats (HLS & DASH) for streaming video delivery
- Knowledge of Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) and Multi-CDN delivery
- Familiarity with Video Advertising standards including VMAP, VAST & VPAID and best practices in delivery of ads, and server side ad insertion technologies
- Experience working with Ad Servers such as Google DoubleClick for Publishers or Freewheel
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled