Senior Video Data Engineer (VDE)Apply
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: Burbank, CA, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
The Video Technology team develops industry leading online and mobile video delivery systems
and IP for CBS.com, CBSSports.com, CBS News, CNET, GameSpot.com, and the entire suite
of CBS Interactive sites. Our team is responsible for the delivery of premium content to millions
of people every day. We set company-wide video standards and help internal business units
integrate the video delivery stack into their specific online products. Additionally, the team
serves as the company’s information resource on current and future trends in digital video. This
is a great opportunity for someone who is interested in doing high-visibility, mission-critical work.
The Video Delivery, Experience & Optimization group is a new team working within the Central
Video Tech team that is focused on using a data-driven approach to understanding, improving
and monitoring the end-user video experience. The group will work across the video
ecosystem/stack to allow data to drive decisions and actions made in Encoding, Players,
Content Delivery Networks(CDNs), and many other areas. Exposing these valuable insights to
all businesses at CBSi will allow them to provide the best experiences for their users and assist
in maximizing user engagement and revenues.
You’ll be an integral part of the Video Delivery, Experience & Optimization team, working on
building new pipelines/workflows for collection, processing of data from internal and external
services. You will be involved with the Central Video Tech team to discover actionable insights
and monitor the impact of experiments and changes made across the Video ecosystem. The
ideal candidate will be very familiar with the current state of data engineering/processing and
data warehouse/data lake systems operating in modern Cloud environments.
Design and implementation of Data Warehouse/Data Lake systems
Configuration of systems to collect/import logs, metrics and other data points from disparate
internal and external data sources into a centralized system.
Working with members of the Central Video Tech team and businesses across CBSi to
understand and collect available data sources as they relate to end-user Video Experience
Setup of systems for creation of real-time dashboards and recurring reports
Work with other internal teams and external vendors to ensure that all of the required beacons
and data are being collected from front-end clients and back-end services/systems to produce
the required reports.
- Setup of a new data warehouse and configure import of data from a number of sources
- Assist in build reports and dashboard of critical video experience metrics for key businesses
- that can be distributed on a regular basis
- Configure alerting systems to help understand anomalies, outages and performance issues in
- video operations across CBSi
What you bring to the team:
- 5 years proven experience developing data processing workflows/systems
- Familiarity with Big Data tools/products from Google Cloud and/or Amazon Web Services.
- This may include Google BigQuery, Data Lab, Data Studio, AWS Kinesis & RedShift
- Experience with transformation of log data and other data formats into metrics that can be
- used in real-time dashboards
- SQL skills and experience with developing complex queries across a number of data different
- Experience with business intelligence and reporting tools and workflows to build reports and
- Experience with technical writing and design documentation
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Equivalent
You might also have :
- Experience with setup/configuration of Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning approaches to
- processing data.
- Knowledge of Content Delivery Networks (CDNs) and Multi-CDN delivery
- Experience working with Video Quality of Experience Measurement vendors such as
- Conviva, Nice People at Work or Mux
- Experience with Audience/User Tracking and metrics including Adobe Omniture, Google
- Analytics, comScore and Nielsen
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled