Editor-in-Chief, TV GuideApply
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: New York, NY, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
TV Guide is a multi-platform digital media brand that helps you decide what to watch – across any genre and on any platform: streaming, broadcast or cable. Our mantra is Discover. Watch. Discuss. Our bicoastal team of entertainment experts create, features and reviews that excite, inform and complement every viewing experience. TV Guide is part of CBS Interactive’s Media group, which also includes Chowhound, Download.com, Last.fm, Metacritic, Metrolyrics and TV.com.
The Editor-in-Chief has a deep passion for TV Shows and fandom in the digital age. S/he is driven, creative and a motivational leader for a bi-coastal team. Reporting directly into the VP of Content this Editor in Chief will navigate the complexities of the TV ecosystem to forge a new direction for this beloved brand in a saturated entertainment market.
- Develop and manage editorial strategies and an editorial roadmap and set a consistent voice and style across TV Guide web and mobile destinations
- Guide the creative direction of TV Guide through leading creative brain-storming and pitch sessions
- Key focus on group's business goals, including but not limited to significant traffic and direct sales revenue growth, increased engagement through social media and content development for target Millennial segments
- Conceptualize and organize the site’s 360 coverage (editorial, social and video) of tentpole events for major show premieres/seasons
- With the Managing Editor, manage the editorial team’s annual budget, including travel and freelance expenses
- Work directly with Integrated Marketing and Sales teams to develop original branded content programs for sponsors and drive regular display and video revenue through editorial production.
- Lead a bi-coastal team and provide professional guidance and mentoring/coaching to team members
- Participate in on-camera (radio and/or podcast) promotional opportunities for the brand on a weekly basis
- Be an expert at content marketing and understand how to develop and optimize headlines, photos and CTAs to drive engagement and audience to the content and editorial experiences the team develops.
- We’re creating the next-generation TV Guide for the ever-expanding world of streaming. It’s more than just Netflix and Hulu these days, and it’s our job to make it simpler, and fun, for every viewer on every platform.
- Our voice, tone and visual identity will be reinvigorated. This role will be critical to rolling out those new directives.
What you bring to the team:
- 8 to 10 years of experience working on a multi-platform digital entertainment lifestyle brand
- Proven experience leading and motivating a team of very creative and voicey writers and editors
- An impressive ability to WOW advertising partners when delivering your editorial vision
- Strong journalistic fundamentals, including excellent writing and editing skills, astute ethical judgment skills and the ability to work under tight deadline pressure
- An entrepreneurial mindset with outstanding leadership skills
- Out-of-the-box thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent communication and public speaking skills
- Demonstrated experience in entertainment journalism
- Avid social media following, including: Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube – and ideas of how best to leverage that following for a media brand
- Experience developing original video series for a lifestyle media brand
You might also have:
- Facility working with Product and Engineering teams
- Keen understanding of SEO best practices
- Experience collaborating with a variety of distribution partners
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled